Wednesday, December 28, 2016

The Hopi predicted chemtrails, I guess

People are obsessed with how the world (as we know it) is going to end. From nuclear disasters to environmental disasters to supernatural whatever, humans pretty much have all of the bases covered. We also like to make our own bastard interpretations of how the world is to end based off of the Book of Revelations and the Maya calendar and so on.

Because I studied cultural anthropology in undergraduate, I appreciate it when people read about other cultures. Except when they get their information from memes. Very few memes I have seen are accurate, or if they are, are misleadingly set up in a way to support the creator's agenda. I also like to see links with more information in the descriptions, but it's social media, so very few people actually do that.

Conspiracy theorists will do pretty much whatever to spread word of what they know - share hours-long YouTube "documentaries," post InfoWars links into Facebook groups (or if you are a real conspiracy hotshot, maybe even write for them), etc. What I guess is also on that to-do list is reading through Hopi folk tales.


While I blocked out the picture for privacy reasons, a white-looking man wearing a fedora does not really help with upping the image's veracity. 

By looking at this meme (and should I point out its lack of further information), I could probably correctly guess that this quote was taken out-of-context. Maybe whoever read this got it from real Hopi literature, oral stories, or a collection of what may-or-may-not-be real quotes from the Hopi. Who's to say that this is not completely made up by someone extremely dedicated to the chemtrail awareness cause, or is merely a troll?

I will admit that I am not familiar with the culture or history of the Hopi, so I am unable to give any elaboration. (Maybe I will save it for another day.) However, you do not have to be a social scientist or historian to be able to quickly pick out the ridiculousness of this meme.

Well, if the Hopi really do happen to believe that chemtrails signify the "day of purification," maybe they can spot some reptilians as well.


Become a Patron!

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you blame every tragedy on the New World Order...

Whether I am on my phone or my laptop, I will screenshot any conspiracy theory-related posts as they come up. (I'm not sure why this is,...